After posting this on facebook, I knew the flood of questions were coming so I thought I would just make one simple post to explain everything so I don't end up copying and pasting the same story a million times. You are welcome. :)
- What Happened?
- Around 1am on Tuesday I started getting contractions, I had no idea what they were I thought I just ate something that didn't agree with me and tried to sleep through it. After waking up four or five times with these pains and finally not being able to sleep (or talk) through them I realized what was going on and woke up Sascha immediately and we were off to the hospital. We got there around 5:30am and at that point my pain was a 9 when i was having a contraction. They wheeled me up to L&D where they started medications to try and stop my contractions and ran some tests to see if I was in pre-term labor, or just having pre-term contractions. (luckily it was the latter- I never went into active labor!!!) they gave me a series of shots in my arm to stop the contractions (small shot that burns a ton in the same spot 3 times, 15 minutes apart.... it sucked) then they gave me the first of 2 steroid shots in my hip so that if I did go into labor the babies lungs would have a better chance of being able to function on their own. After the shots didn't work to stop my contractions, they only slowed them, they switched me to a pill that i will continue to take every 6 hours for the next at least 4 weeks, most likely 6 weeks, to make sure my uterus doesn't get irritated again. Even with the pill the contractions didn't stop until around 6:30pm Tuesday night, but with the pills my pain went from 9 to a 4. Girls, think period cramps just bad enough for you to stay home from school with a heating pad. I had to spend the night to get more fluids, be monitored some more, and to get the second round of steroids in the morning. This morning they ran a few more tests to make sure that everything was okay, gave me the second dose of steroids and my TDAP shot (Sascha got one too!) when all my tests came back great they sent me home on modified bedrest.
- Are you OK?
- Im really sore from all the shots and having contractions off and on for 17 hours and I'm exhausted from no sleep, but I'm okay and the babies are okay and that's what matters!
- What is modified bedrest?
- modified bedrest is basically, I can do things but if I can be sitting- sit and if i can be laying down- lay down. No walking long distances, don't stand for too long, no lifting. So basically exactly what I've already been doing.
- Do you need anything?
- I have been super overwhelmed by everyone offering to help with so many different things, but right now I just need to rest. If I do need something though I will for sure reach out to those of you who have offered.